Many individuals around the world are interested in doing graduate work in Peace and Conflict Resolution at the MA or Ph.D. level. This guide is for MA level programs. For Ph.D. programs see the resource guide
There are several excellent existing guides to finding programs listed below (Please note that no guide provides complete up-to-date information on all programs, thus please feel free to suggest additional programs and also do your own research).
Before looking through the guides, readers are strongly encouraged to read carefully through the free report Graduate Education and Professional Practice in International Peace and Conflict (2010. by Nike Carstarphen, Craig Zelizer, Robert Harris and David J. Smith. Special Report 246. United States Institute of Peace:Washington, DC.
which is accessible at http://www.internationalpeaceandconflict.org/profiles/blogs/new-rep… . The report provides a critical review of the opportunities and challenges in graduate programs and should be useful reading for students, faculty, employers and those considering starting programs.
RELEVANT GUIDES TO GRADUATE LEVEL PROGRAMS
1. The Peacemakers Trust in Canada has complied an excellent list of programs around the world see, http://www.peacemakers.ca/education/educationlinks.html
2. Dr. Brian Polkinghorn at Salisbury State University, has compiled an excellent guide to Graduate Programs in Conflict Resolution, Peace Studies and Alternative Dispute Resolution around the World.
3.The Peace and Justice Studies Association publishes a guide to peace and conflict related programs at all levels.
4.CR Info has an online guide to higher education programs related to Conflict issues.
5.Eastern Mennonite University has also put together a useful guide to MA level programs related to Peace and Conflict Studies.
6. Wikipedia has an entry that provides an overview of the field of Peace and Conflict Studies and key research institutes.
Idealist, one of the leading nonprofit career sites has recently developed the Public Service Graduate Education Resource Center. This is a terrific site that has key information for individuals seeking to pursue graduate programs related to social change. The resources includes tips for how to select a program, how to write an effective application, application procedures, identifying funding and more.
SCHOLARSHIPS/FUNDING FOR MA PROGRAMS
For more information on funding possibilities please consult the Scholarships Guide and/or directly contact the respective academic program.
KEY MA PROGRAMS IN PEACE AND CONFLICT RESOLUTION
Regarding MA programs in Conflict Resolution and Related Fields see some of the key programs below. Feel free to suggest additional programs and you’re encouraged to consult the resource guides listed above.
In Washington, DC area there are the following MA level programs:
- Master of Arts in Conflict Resolution Program, Georgetown University
- Institute for Conflict Analysis and Resolution, George Mason University
- International Peace and Conflict Resolution Program, American University
Other regions in the US
- Master of Science in Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Columbia University, New York
- Master of Arts degree in Conflict Analysis and Engagement, Antoich University, Ohio
- MA in Conflict Transformation, Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, Virginia
- International Peace and Conflict Resolution MA program at Arcadia University in Pennsylvania
- MA in Peace Studies, Notre Dame University, Indiana
- Master of Science in Conflict Analysis and Resolution, NOVA Southeastern University, Florida (also offers online and certificate programs)
- Master of Arts in Coexistence and Conflict, Brandies University, Massachusetts
- Master of Arts in Dispute Resolution, University of Massachusetts in Boston
- Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy, The Fletcher School, Tufts University, Massachusetts (includes the option to do a concentration in conflict resolution)
- Masters Program in Conflict Studies and Dispute Resolution at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Master of Arts in Peace and Justice Studies University of San Diego, California
- MA in Negotiation, Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding, California State University, Dominguez Hills (offers an online program)
- The Master’s Program In Conflict and Dispute Resolution, University of Oregon
- Masters in Negotiation and Dispute Resolution (offers campus-based and online version) at Creighton University in Nebraska.
- Master of Arts in Conflict Analysis and Dispute Resolution, Salisbury University, Maryland
- Master of Arts in Conflict Transformation – School for International Training, Vermont
M.A. Program in Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Manitoba and University of Winnipeg (joint program)
- Australian Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies at University of Queensland
- Center for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney
- The National Centre for Peace And Conflict Studies, at the University of Otago, is New Zealand’s first Centre to combine global cross-disciplinary expertise on the issues of development, peacebuilding and conflict transformation. It offers postgraduate programs at the Masters and PhD level.
EUROPEAN NETWORK PROGRAMS
- European Master’s Degree in Human Rights and Democratisation – European Inter-University Centre for Human Rights and Democratisation
- MA for Peace, Development, Security and International Conflict Tran… at the University of Innsbruck
- M.Phil, International Peace Studies, Trinity College, Dublin
- MA program in Conflict Studies, Faculty of Media and Communications (FMK), Singidunum University
- Online MA in Conflictology,Open University of Catalonia, Barcelona
- MA Program in Peace and Development Studies, Linnæus University, Sweden. The one-year program combines conflict analysis and development studies with a practical, methods-oriented approach. Students are taught in a multicultural classroom by experts with extensive practical experience abroad.
- MA of Advanced Studies in Peace and Conflict Transformation, University of Basel
- MA in Expressive Arts, Conflict Transformation and Peacebuilding European Graduate School
- M.Phil, Reconciliation Studies, Irish School of Ecumenics, Trinity College, Belfast
- LLM Human Rights Law and Transitional Justice, Transitional Justice Institute, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
- MA Postgraduate Courses in Conflict Resolution, Peace Studies, Conflict, Security and Development (and related Fields), University of Bradford
- University of Peace – Offers 10 MA programs related to peace and conflict studies.
- University of Haifa – Launching a new interdiciplinary MA Program in Peace and Conflict Management Studies in October 2010